- Start playing the video
- Click CC at bottom right
- Click the gear icon to its right
- Click Subtitles/CC
- Click Auto-translate
- Select language you want
Schreiber council meeting October 2020
At the last council meeting held in Schreiber, various issues were discussed:
- Several maintenance issues were carried, including a motion to approve the repairs to the public library roof, leak repair on the community hall and finalizing a quote for sand for the roads this winter.
- An infrared camera will ad to the security at the municipal building. A new gas sensor will be installed at the fire station plus some other equipment upgrades for the department were approved.
- A zoning bylaw to help conform lot sizes and establish tax rates on odd size properties was carried.
- The municipal organization chart was updated to reflect the hierarchy and job descriptions of current management. Some positions remain open until such time those jobs are filled pending budget approval.
- Department reports were presented starting with the treasurers monthly updates.
- A decision was made to delay the start of the public skating season and possibly including hockey tournaments.
- With the current upturn in COVID cases in the Thunder Bay area, it would seem that keeping any recreation facilities closed will be likely. The outdoor rink will not be put to use this year as a safety precaution. The biggest problem moving forward is the constant changing stance of the provincial government. Often weeks can pass between provincial announcements and municipal reaction.
- The director of Operations gave an update to the condition of the water dam which appears to be reaching its end of life.
- It was agreed that a report from the accessibility committee to determine a plan for meeting mobility requirements.
- The library report was accepted and the Schreiber Media Centre website was mentioned.
- Water reports and operations has been an ongoing concern with more meetings to be held.
- Under communications, no issues were raised.
- The local branch of the legion requested the mayor and council to attend the remembrance day event which will also be live streamed by SMC.
- Unfinished business included finalizing the draft agreement with ACWA on the upgrades to the sewage treatment plants. The cost of this project will run into over one and a half million dollars and must be carried out as soon as possible in order to maintain compliance.
- No delegations were present but a request to support the Aquasobon Golf Course in Terrace Bay was discussed. There seemed to be confusion as to what the motion would involve on a financial level.
- Finally there was an update on the costs of attending the virtual ROMA meeting and who would attend the event in January 2021.
- The Rural Ontario Municipal Association meetings are held in high regard as it is an opportunity to speak with various ministers in a one on one group setting.
Schreiber Community Media is a non profit organization established with the aim of providing media production services and training for the residents of Schreiber and surrounding areas. Schreiber is located on the north shore of Lake Superior approximately two hours east of Thunder Bay.
The Schreiber Media Centre is locating in the Schreiber Public Library and includes tools for recording, live streaming and post production of audio and video.